A Florida woman who was seen in a widely watched movie intentionally coughing on a shopper in a Pier 1 home-goods store last summer, as fears about the pandemic raged, was sentenced on Thursday to 30 days in jail, court documents show.

The woman, Debra Hunter, 53, had been charged with misdemeanor assault in June after she walked up and coughed on the shopper, Heather Sprague, who had been recording video of Ms. Hunter’s dispute with workers in the store, in Jacksonville.

Ms. Sprague said in court that she’d begun recording Ms. Hunter after watching her berate store employees for 15 minutes in a debate over an item that Ms. Hunter wanted to return.

Ms. Sprague said she had undergone surgery to remove a brain tumor 10 months before and was still undergoing therapy when Ms. Hunter found that she was recording and made an obscene gesture.

“I think that I ’ll get real close to you and cough on you, then, how’s that? ” Ms. Hunter says in the movie as she approaches the phone and then coughs. Ms. Sprague, who said she was wearing a mask at the time, testified that Ms. Hunter had left spittle on her face.

“The defendant ’s act of questioning in my face at the height of a pandemic was an act that was calculated to strike me at my weakest point, emotionally and physically,” Ms. Sprague told Judge James A. Ruth of Duval County Court, according to a recording of an online sentencing hearing that was posted by First Coast News. “I was stunned in the moment and increasingly fearful in the wake. ”

After the experience, Ms. Sprague stated, she struggled to get a Covid evaluation, as diagnostics were not widely available at the time and finally tested negative.

The episode came through a period in the pandemic, when the authorities were responding to heated confrontations across the country over masks and other precautions, with a few of those disputes leading to criminal charges for men and women who spat or coughed on ride-share drivers, store workers and police officers. Retail workers also reported being subjected to verbal abuse — as well as risks involving firearms — for enforcing mask rules.

Ms. Hunter stated she felt remorse and guilt from “one very bad decision” that had cost her three children nearly all their friends and had made her feel like a pariah in her community. She said her children had been greatly affected by the hundreds of text messages, emails, phone calls, social networking threats and even hand-delivered letters she had received after the movie of her coughing on Ms. Sprague gained widespread attention.

The reality is that my family has been permanently scarred, Ms. Hunter told the judge. “And even though that scar may fade over time, it will never completely disappear. My kids shouldn’t have to pay the cost for my error. ”

“I can overcome the ostracization,” Ms. Hunter added, based on First Coast News. “I deserve it. My children do not. ”

Ms. Hunter told the judge that the video showed her at the “worst possible light on my worst possible day” and said she’d felt at the time like a balloon that was going to pop up. Her husband, Doug Hunter, told the court that a fire had forced the family from their house, among other hardships they had endured.

Everything kept piling on and piling on and piling , and I just kept trying to push it down, Ms. Hunter explained. “That day, the pin just stuck in the balloon, and unfortunately for Ms. Sprague, you know, she was the recipient of that, and for that I apologize. ”

Judge Ruth took issue with Ms. Hunter’s testimony, stating she’d voiced more concern for her family than for Ms. Sprague.

She talked about how it changed her world and, you know, shes getting the nastygrams on Facebook and things of that nature, and they cant go to the country club or wherever, and cant play football, he said. “I get that. But I’ve yet to see any expression — or a significant expression — on her sorrow about the effect it had on the victim in this case. ”

In addition to 30 days in jail, Ms. Hunter was sentenced to six months of probation and ordered to pay a $500 fine. Judge Ruth also ordered her to choose an anger-management course and also to undergo a mental-health test and participate in follow-up therapy, if appropriate.